Important! Please note that you must arrive at the Town Clerk's Office at least 45 minutes prior to closing to obtain your marriage license, as it will take some time to complete the paperwork. Thank you.
Couples should be aware of the following requirements to obtain a marriage license in NH:
- If you are getting married in the State of New Hampshire, you may go to any Town Clerk’s office to apply for your Marriage License. Both parties must present their birth certificates or passports and their driver’s licenses at the time of application. Also, if it is not a first marriage for either, you must present your final or absolute divorce decree/ annulment papers, or a death certificate, all with a raised seal.
- Your license will be effective immediately, with no waiting period, and remain valid for a period of 90 days.
- Cost: $50.00. Checks are payable to the Town of Newton NH
- After the ceremony, it is the responsibility of your officiate to ensure that the completed license is returned to the Town Clerk's Office that you applied with, within 6 days. It will then take approximately 10-14 days for the information to be updated in the vital records system.
- Please note that out of state officiates will be required to obtain a Special License. For more information about the Special day license, please contact the Secretary of State's website or call their office at 603-271-3242.