Vehicle Registrations



New Hampshire allows new residents  60 days to change over driver’s licenses and motor vehicle registrations.  Make sure that whoever is on the out of state paperwork (i.e.: title or registration), needs to be the person present at the time of processing the paperwork.  If you cannot physically come in and process your own paperwork, you will need a notarized power of attorney form for someone else to sign the title application and registration on your behalf.   The following documents are what you will need to start titling and registering your vehicle(s):

1.    Present to the Town Clerk’s Office documentation from the closing of your home (ie. HUD statement, purchase agreement), OR, if renting, you must present one (1) of the following: a signed lease or rental agreement listing ALL occupants, OR a residency statement form available from this office.


2.    NH is a ‘title state’, and as such, any existing title must be surrendered at the time of registration. It must be the actual title; a photocopy will not be accepted.  If your vehicle is 2000 or newer, you must present your original title from out of state.  If your vehicle is 1999 or older, and you do not have a title, you will need to have a 19a vin verification form completed by the appropriate party, along with the original bill of sale or purchase contract given at the time of purchase.

3.    If your title is currently held by an out-of-state lienholder or leasing company, at the time of application, bring in current out of state registration, and provide name and address of lienholder or leasing company. We will prepare a Certificate of Title Application (CTA) and issue you a registration with plates. In some instances, we would process the Town portion only and send you to any DMV to complete the process.  We will then send the  CTA to the NH Title Bureau and they will request your title from your lien holder or leasing company.  You are advised to inform either of those companies that you have moved to New Hampshire and the Title Bureau requires the current title to transfer to New Hampshire. The Town Clerk’s Office is not authorized to make request for a title to your lienholder on your behalf. It must be made by the NH Title Bureau. Title Bureau will make 2 attempts to reach out to the lienholder/lease company to receive the title. Renewal of registration will not be allowed if this requirement has not been met.


1.    Same as #1 above.

2.    We will provide you with a change of address request, which you must complete and forward to the Division of Motor Vehicles within THIRTY (30) days of moving.

3.    If your renewal is due the month you move to Town, you must present to the Clerk’s Office your expiring registration from your previous town of residence.  If you do not have your registration, you must obtain a copy from the town where it was issued prior to obtaining a renewal with the Town of Newton.

1.    NEW VEHICLE REGISTRATIONS: Any new registrations need to be processed by whoever’s’ name is on the new paperwork (Certificate of Title Application, if purchased through a NH Dealership, or Manufacturers Certificate of Origin or property assigned title, if purchased at out of state dealership, or a properly assigned title if purchased through private sale, and a proper Bill of Sale.)  If the registrant(s) can't make it to the office due to scheduling conflicts or physically unable to, a notarized power of attorney form will need to be completed prior to processing the paperwork.  Registration fees paid to the Town of Newton are based on the Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) when the vehicle was new.  The MSRP is taken from the “Red Book” published by National Market Reports.  The same book is used state-wide, and all taxes are calculated from the same, state-regulated tables.  Current year vehicles are taxed at $18.00/thousand for the first year.  The rate is then reduced by $3.00/thousand per year until the vehicle is six (6) years old.  At that time, the rate remains at $3.00/thousand. The State registration fee is based on the gross vehicle weight (GVW) and the type of plate you have. You may calculate the estimated costs of your registration by clicking here.

The Town Clerk cannot register a new vehicle for less than five (5) months, nor more than sixteen (16).  A resident who comes to the office in July, and whose birthday falls in November would register for five (5) months.  The same registration processed in August would run for sixteen (16) months.

2.    TRANSFERRING VEHICLES: Make sure that the name(s) on the previous registration match the new paperwork for the new vehicle-that is the only way you will receive the credit from the previous registration.  When transferring license plates to a newly purchased vehicle, please bring the paperwork for the new vehicle (Certificate of Origin or title) as well as the prior (current) SIGNED registration from the vehicle being replaced. If you cannot find your previous registration for that the vehicle that is coming off the road, you will have to purchase a duplicate registration for $18.00 and then we will use that to transfer the plates and credit to the new vehicle.  Please remember that your license plates and registration are your property and responsibility, and should remain in your possession after the sale or trade-in of any vehicle.  Please note:  whoever’s name is on the paperwork needs to be the person that comes into the office to process the registration.  If the registrant(s) can't come in due to scheduling or physically unable, a notarized power of attorney form will need to be completed in order to process the registration. If you were issued a resident sticker for the prior vehicle, you need to return that (whether whole or in pieces) in order to receive a new sticker without having to pay a fee. (per Transfer Station Policy)

3.    RENEWING VEHICLES: Vehicle registrations expire on the last day of the owner’s birth month, except in the case of a company owned or leased vehicle.  In this case, the expiration date is determined by the first letter of the company name. There is no grace period on expired registrations. This office DOES NOT mail out renewal notices. If you would like an email reminder to register your vehicle, please send an email to It is the responsibility of the vehicle owner to ensure that it is properly registered.

Please note that you MUST bring in a SIGNED previous registration, current or expired, a SIGNED photo copy of such or the plate number,  per RSA 261:148-4. Staff can no longer look up registrations by your name. If you cannot find any previous registrations for that vehicle, nor have your plate number, you will have to purchase a duplicate registration for $18.00 and then we will use that to renew your vehicle.  At the request of the NH DMV, please have your photo ID available for all motor vehicle transactions.

4.    E-REGRENEW your vehicle online!  This service is only available for Newton residents who wish to renew their vehicle registrations.  At this time, it is not available for new registrations, plate/registration maintenances, first-time registrations, or plate transfer registrations. 

No changes can be made to the registration (i.e. address, name or mailing location)

Until you receive your official registration and decals in the mail, do not consider your vehicle registered.

Procedure- When you renew by this method, your information will be pulled in by the Town Clerk's office staff, and they process all transactions in the queue.  The office will check residency, process the transaction, and mail you directly your completed registration and decal stickers.  It could take up to 7 days, depending on when you initiate the function.  Please make sure you allow plenty of time for yourself before the last day of the month (due date).   

In the event of any problems, or questions, we will attempt to contact you by email or telephone, but the Town is not liable if, for any reason, we are unable to do so or if you don't respond to such communications.  It will be your responsibility to contact us within 10 days of your online submission if you have not received your vehicle registrations.


You may change your plate type at any point during the year. A completed Application for Replacement Plates and Decals is required, and you will be required to pay the plate fees ($8), the new registration fee ($18.00), plus any other applicable fees for the plate type requested.  Please be advised that the Town Clerk's office cannot provide vanity plates or veteran’s plates at this time.


A Duplicate Copy of a registration is available when a current registration has been misplaced, lost or has been destroyed. An Application for a Copy of Registration must be completed and the fee for this transaction is $18.00 per registration, and can be done here at the Town Clerk's office.