Vital Records

Vital Records

Birth/Death/Marriage/Divorce Certificates

Access to Vital Records

Vital Records are not considered to be public records in the State of New Hampshire. Records can only be issued to the individual to whom the record belongs or immediate family members. Immediate family members include: Parents, Step-Parents, Spouse, Sibling, Grandparent, Aunt or Uncle. We cannot issue to cousins, in-laws or other parties without proof of tangible interest. (For example, a legal guardian can obtain a record with proof of guardianship.) 

Photo identification is required of the person requesting the vital record. If you do not have photo identification, please contact our office for further instructions. 

We provide the following certificates:

  • Marriage Certificates -   1960 - Present
  • Death Certificates - 1965 – Present 
  • Birth Certificates - 1935 – Present (except 1949 and 1950)
  • Divorce decrees - 1979 – Present (within 6 months of current date) 

 Events must have occurred in the State of New Hampshire. Births and deaths prior to the above mentioned dates need to be obtained from the town where the event occurred. Marriages prior to 1960 will need to be obtained from the town or city where the marriage license was applied for, not where the marriage took place.  


You can obtain certified copies of any vital record, at a cost of $15 for the first copy and $10/each for subsequent copies.  Checks, money orders, or cashier’s checks can be accepted through the mail, payable to the Town of Newton.  We cannot take payment over the phone. Please be sure to enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope, properly completed request form , and a copy of your driver's license.

 We can now process any of the above vital record request online by going here.